Subscription models are the current trend in everything from streaming services to clothing shopping—and IT services are no exception.
Managed IT services are a subscription-like plan for business IT services where organizations get the help of an outsourced IT team for one flat fee each month. This type of service is becoming so popular that traditional break/fix IT—where an IT guy shows up, fixes what’s broken, and hands you an astronomical bill—is leaving the market in the business IT world.
In this blog post, we’ll explore break/fix IT and managed IT services and discuss the potential barriers that slow adopters have when considering managed IT. We’ll also take a look at the many benefits of working with a Managed Service Provider (MSP) and show why they’re such a valuable investment for your business.
Disadvantages of Break/Fix IT
This break/fix IT model can be effective in some cases, but it has a number of drawbacks. Here are some of the cons of break/fix IT:
- Businesses have to wait for something to go wrong before they can get help.
- Businesses are charged for every problem, regardless of how big or small it is.
- Businesses have no proactive support, so issues can spiral out of control before they are fixed.
Because of these problems, businesses are switching to the managed IT service model, which incentivizes proactive care, minimizes downtime, and standardizes cost expectations.
Potential Barriers to Managed IT Services
So why are some businesses still waiting to switch to managed IT services? There are a few potential barriers that have kept hesitant companies from fully adopting managed IT. Here are some of the perceived disadvantages to managed IT services:
Fear of Poor Responsiveness
Organizations may be scared that using managed IT services means being locked into a contract, and that after they’ve signed, their service level will drop. This is not true; an MSP is required to earn customers’ trust, just like any business.
Not all MSPs set minimum contract periods, and all providers are subject to bad reviews, poor word of mouth, and even worse consequences if they betray their clients’ trust by letting service levels and responsiveness drop. An excellent Columbia MSP prioritizes communication, especially urgent requests that affect business operations.
Managed IT can be more expensive upfront than break/fix IT, but they provide much better value in the long run.
They standardize IT costs so that you can budget better and not be at the mercy of whatever cost a break/fix provider chooses to charge; mitigate the risk of expensive downtime and data breaches; and make up their ROI with productivity- and efficiency-enhancing technology tools.
Lack of Trust
Some businesses are hesitant to hand over control of their IT to another company. That’s 100% fine and understandable, and luckily there are options available for those wanting to completely outsource their IT as well as those who want to retain some control.
Co-managed IT services involve your in-house IT team working together with your MSP to hand over some responsibilities when there’s too much to do, and there will always be flexibility in what you choose to have your MSP handle.
The Benefits of Managed IT Services
Now that we’ve looked at the drawbacks of break/fix IT and the potential barriers to managed IT services, let’s take a look at the many benefits of managed IT. Here are some of the benefits of working with an experienced Columbia MSP:
- Businesses get proactive support: With managed IT services, businesses don’t have to wait for something to go wrong before they can get help. Managed IT service providers proactively monitor their clients’ networks for issues, and they can often fix problems before they cause downtime
- Businesses save money in the long run: When working with a Managed Service Provider, businesses are not charged for every problem that comes up. Instead, they pay a monthly fee for comprehensive support. This means that businesses save money in the long run, since they are not paying for every issue separately, and unlike break/fix providers, MSPs are incentivized to prevent issues in the first place.
- Businesses get peace of mind: Businesses can focus on their core competencies and leave the IT support to the experts. This gives businesses peace of mind knowing that their IT needs are being taken care of by a team of professionals
Make the Switch to Managed IT Services
As you can see, there are many benefits of managed IT services. If you’re looking for a managed IT services provider in Columbia, or if you want to learn more about what managed IT includes, contact our professionals at K2 Tech Group today. We would be happy to answer any of your questions!